Find Out More About the Neom Mega-Project in Saudi Arabia
Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of Israel, visited Saudi Arabia in November 2020 for a meeting with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The secret rendezvous took place in Neom, the futuristic megacity being constructed under the close watch of the prince himself. But what is this colossal project all about in the first place?
What is Neom?
Neom is dubbed by Saudi Arabia as what the new future might look like. The word “Neom” is a portmanteau of the Greek term “Neos,” which means “new,” and the Arabic term “Mustaqbal,” which means “future.” Neom is basically a megacity of the future that is 33 times the size of New York City.
The project is being constructed in northwest Saudi Arabia on the Red Sea. It is being envisioned as a place where innovation and entrepreneurship will shape the course of the new future. The mega-city is also advertised as a new model for more sustainable working, living, and prospering. The officials of Saudi Arabia also describe it as the most ambitious project in the world.
What Makes Neom a Significant Project?
Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince, Mohammad Bin Salman, has unveiled his Vision 2030, which aims to reduce the country’s economic reliance on crude oil.It was during this time that Neom entered the picture. The mega-city is expected to house over a million people and provide Saudi Arabia with a new market in addition to crude oil.
Neom: Expectations for the Future
Neom is glorified to include the following:
- The futuristic city is expected to become the world’s economic engine as numerous investments reach it.
- A giant artificial moon would possibly illuminate Neom at night.
- The Wall Street Journal obtained blueprints that detail some wild plans for holographic teachers, robotic maids, and even artificial rain.
- Neom is founded on environmental conservation principles.
- Neom will also be geographically rich because it also includes deserts, mountains, and coasts.
- It promises both investors and residents livability and lifestyle that can compete with, if not outperform, the rest of the world.
- Neom would also provide young entrepreneurs with an open laboratory.
- Neom is meant to take advantage of cloud seeding technology to produce artificial clouds that will create more rainfall compared to what is naturally possible in a desert.
- Neom is expected to attract the best of the world’s established and emerging talent with an unparalleled commitment to production activity, innovation, and industry education, all made possible in a distinctively collaborative environment.
- The authorities plan to alter the coastline of the Red Sea. Based on the plan, glow-in-the-dark sand will be added to the beaches.
- The state would also have its own labor laws, as well as a tax system that wouldn’t depend on the current Saudi Arabian government.
The initial phase of the project is almost complete, according to the Saudi authorities, with the resorts and the airport already being constructed at Neom Bay. The government of Saudi Arabia would also need to host investor summits to attract more investments in the futuristic city. For now, it seems that the plan is a bit far-fetched and might take lots of effort and time to build unique architectures.