The events of 2020 have changed the landscape of travel from how tourism businesses operate to what travelers prioritize when planning a trip. TripAdvisor looked at data across six major countries, including the U.S., United Kingdom, Australia and more, and has uncovered the top travel trends for 2021, which shows an increasing confidence amongst travelers.
What are the travel trends in 2021? By Black Platinum Gold
1. Folks are looking to travel abroad in the second half of the year
- Globally, 47% of travelers say they are planning an international trip, including 45% of U.S. travelers.
- 14% of U.S. travelers have already booked their trip.
2. Vaccinations will bring more travel confidence:
- 77% of travelers are more likely to travel internationally if they receive a vaccine, while 86% are more likely to travel domestically.
- In the U.S. 69% are more likely to travel internationally once they get a vaccine, with the number rising to 80% for domestic travel.
- 26% of people globally would only travel to destinations that require visitors to be vaccinated.
3. Domestic travel will remain a high priority
- 74% of global travelers say they are planning at least one domestic leisure trip this year.
- 80% of folks in the U.S. are planning at least one domestic trip, while 34% are planning at least three this year.
4. People will spend more time planning trips this year
- Globally, 74% of travelers say they’ll spend more time choosing their travel destination this year, while 65% of Americans say the same.
- 64% of U.S. travelers plan to spend more time reading reviews, 64% will spend more time on accommodations and 70% will spend more time researching things to do.
5. Consumers looking forward to dining out again
- Globally, 74% of people plan to dine in more often this year than last year, and that includes 54% of U.S. residents.
- But folks won’t give up on takeout, with 27% of folks globally saying they plan to order more take out this year, as do 38% of folks in the U.S.